Thursday, February 11, 2010

The Unfitted Kitchen

Julia Child's Kitchen

     I love living in downtown San Francisco. I love the views out of my bay windows of the sky and San Francisco's skyline. Also to love is are the hardwood floor, tall ceilings, extensive molding, 3 bay windows, and the thick walls, floors and ceilings that keep neighborly noise to an almost non-existent minimum.

The one thing I'm not loving exactly is the 'unfitted kitchen' of the Salon du Trendyloin. An unfitted kitchen is an European term meaning there's NO cabinets or countertops. Usually that means you have to bring your own kitchen, including stove, sink and fridge, but thankfully we are here in the U.S. on this and my landlord has provided a tiny stove/oven, fridge and yes, the original farmhouse sink is still there.

But there is only one little cabinet above the sink and the original (if not anachronistic) ice box along the wall under the window. There are NO counters or drawers.

For now I have bought a kitchen island which has 3 little drawers and an Ikea shelf unit that sort of gives me a French-style open shelving option.

The delightful movie Julia and Julia gave me my first glimpse into Julia Child’s kitchen. I not only share the same first name with the famous chef, but I am also a generous 6 footer so her customized tall countertops would fit me as well. Now what I’ve done in the Salon du Trendyloin is nowhere near worthy of Julia Child’s customized kitchen but it’s a start. Here’s some before and after pics of the Salon’s kitchen.

Before

After


Of course the perfect view out a kitchen window was in another movie.

Ratatouille 


Little Chef Remy prepares fabulous omelets (just like Julia on her famous PBS show).

While I don't have much of a view, much less of Paris rooftops and the Effiel Tower, my kitchen is more than a hotplate.  The Salon's environs are ever evolving and more kitchen changes will be coming down the line.

No comments:

Post a Comment